Tuesday, September 2, 2008

On the benefits of social computing

I was curious about this article in businessweek.com, Protests Against Tata's Nano Get Ugly, because I had written about the Nano car that Tata is trying to build.

While the articles talk alot about what is going on superficially (i.e. the protests), I wanted to know what was behind the protests. The article was more about this group's actions or that group's actions. There was this, but it still made me question what is the motivation.

However, there was an interesting comment posted that said, "Land acquisition should be done by pvt (private?) companies as in other successful SEZs (don't know) and not the govt (government) because the govt is obliged to compensate the farmers at the registered price of land which is miles below actual price of land as per the land acquisition act.This is because most indian real estate is under priced in the record to avoid paying high property tax and stamp duty." (The words in parantheses are mine).

Reading this comment, I bet that the protesters are thinking they should get a better deal for their land than they should. That is likely the reason why they are protesting.

Now, that may not be the reason, but it makes sense to me. It also reminds me that there can be alot of value in all those comments that come after articles and blogs.

No comments: